Skip to main content

Santa Cruz Island, Thursday 10 Nov

A dome shell tortoise



 

The Galapagos trip ended up being a saga rather than a post.  For links to the whole trip please go to the first Galapagos post.

This was the last full day in the Galapagos. It was more of what I expected from a tour, a very good tour. I was also beginning to run out of steam at this point. Not their fault, just me getting tired. It was also the only time we got to go around an inhabited part of the islands.

This page is dedicated to Renee who went on a Galapagos expedition and set me to thinking about doing it and Jenny, Saraj, and Riggy who showed me to be a very amateur photographer was another way to make sense of what I was seeing. ("Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." attributed to many people, but I heard from Faith Petric.)

We landed at Puerto Ayora, one of the few large towns (or perhaps small city) on Santa Cruz Island. Immediately we saw three differences.  
  • There were people here.  We really had not seen anyone outside of our group and the crew other than an other group in the distance. 
  • Here there were cars, small ones, pickups, motorcycles, and buses. That also meant roads. and traffic rules. And bicycles. Bicycles seem to be an obvious choice for a place that would be difficult to import cars.  On the other hand, after the port everything is significantly up hill. While Kay and I were sitting near the port, I think I figured something out. There were lots of white 4 door pickup trucks. Different brands, but all white and all 4 door. I think some were taxis (official and otherwise.) People would put a bicycle in the back, and get in the front. Hmm, ride the bike downhill to work, and get a lift up the hill for the home trip.
  • But the big difference is the vegetation. At sea level, there is a bit of landscaping. Rough and not using irrigation as this is a place with extreme limits on water. Lulu explained that most of this stuff is non-native and that there is great encouragement for people to remove the invasive species and plant endemic plants.


The Darwin Research Station
    

   
I am not sure what this is
But it sure looks like 
a Boy Scout with a cell phone

The sex is determined by the temperature
that the eggs are kept at incubation. 

  
                Each island has a different gene pool               
They retrieve the eggs, incubate and return
for rewilding.

At 6 months they are about the size of a differ plate
and they are ready for release

  
  
  
  

These are the tiny babies. 
 About the size of your hand

These are the saddleback tortoise
The name of the islands comes from "galope"
or gallop. There is a type of saddle called galope.



We then bussed up to the top of the world
to Los Gemelos



Not craters (inside of a cone)
But rather sink holes formed
where a bubble in the magma forms a crater, 
that collapses inward with erosion.


Tiny flowers

The vegetation gets lush as one gets
higher in elevation.

These reminded me of rock roses.
Non native according to Lulu
  
More non natives.


Our next stops (yes plural) were 
the lava tubes
I admit I didn't go on the part where
one has to crawl part of the way.

I didn't even go on the staircase side.
I was getting to the limit of my energy
and we hadn't even had lunch yet. 

The tortoises here have free range
Note that the barbed wire is high enough
for an adult to get under easily.

  
Another non native beautiful plant                 



Our next stop was at 
Rancho Pimicias
  
A bathroom stop
(don't laugh, pit stops were far and few between)
We ordered our lunches, then off for a small hike         
while the food was prepared

While most of the Galapagos is park,
this is privately owned  land
What they can do with the land
is very restricted.

The paths we walked are tortoise trail
This is their place.

They spend feeding time up in the hills
going down to the beaches to lay eggs

The key to this conservation work is to 
make it possible for the people that live here
to make more profit from having the tortoise 
than from removing them.


These guys coat themselves with mud
to keep cool

 


And as always, there is poop


There is a display about the size of 
a living room that I would love
to share with some of you


I really didn't understand how the inside of a 
tortoise works
This displays give a good glimpse at how 
the bones fit.

We could touch the plates of a shell


The shell is a giant bone like
structure.

Over that there is material, much like 
a finger nail, or horse hoof.
The one on display is highly polished


Our luncheon was fabulous
I did not drink a beer as I knew there was
lots more walking.
I think Rancho Primicias was my favorite
part of the trip.


After lunch, shopping.
We went to the sox shop Lulu suggested
 (Ecuadorian made goods)
That is the shop in the background.

The proprietor suggested we walk on the the next 
shop to see a common occurrence in Puerto Ayora.
Remember the 6 foot rule?
.



Such a short time, I could not photo enough of
the street art. It is everywhere, and beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Antarctic, Tuesday 14 November 2023

A week and a half after landing, and I am still processing this trip.  I may be processing for the rest of my life. I think any trip to the Antarctic would be life changing. For me as a geographer, traveler, and elder, this trip was on my probably not gonna happen bucket list. Getting there was hard work. Getting over my personal barriers was difficult. There was nothing easy about getting there, a personal triumph. But there was something magical about this trip, this voyage. Even the Expedition leaders noted there was something special about it, a luck.  The weather, the sea conditions, the sightings.  All were way beyond expectations. I will begin as the voyage begins with Drake Passage. This passages has two settings one  involves sea sick meds, learning how to wedge oneself into bed, how not to smash fingers in doors. The other is Drake Lake. There is nothing in between.  We did the crossing in a day and a half rather than the usual two. There were bulletin boards with all sorts o

Ecotravel and Greenwashing and a Ramble on Ethics

As someone who strives to reach the unobtainable goal of living ethically (or if you prefer the word: moral, holy, pure.) I am always questioning the decisions I make. I rarely get it right, but I make the effort. In these blogs I try to share not just the travel experience, but how these travels have changed me. Travel is a big issue in my personal path, and for the planet as well. Travel has its cost. I am not speaking of the monetary cost, but the ethical cost of going to another place and the affect on that place. I was accused by one troll of “Killing the penguins.”  The question becomes how do I tip the scales of Osiris in my direction. "Ethics is the branch of philosophy that deals with moral questions and values."  Encyclopedea Britanica This essay is on my thoughts on that particular dilemma. I can’t tell you what to think, but perhaps in reading how I came to my decisions you can add to my thinking, and perhaps think about your footprint. The photos are from my va

The Galapagos: The start

  Dear Friends I am just back from a trip that will forever change my life. An apex experience. I am afraid I will be insufferable for a while. When you meet me in real time, I will try to not go on and on, but if you ask, I will be happy tell you about what we did. Note on the photos: I will note all of the photos taken by other people, the rest were from me, taken with my phone (or rather my camera with a phone in it.) I  have reduced the size.  If you want a full copy of one of them, contact me.   Note on dates, locations, and species: I do not claim any accuracy.  Where you find that I have erred, please let me know so I can correct.  Because of the size of the experience, and the huge number of photos I am processing, I am going to break this down into several sections because it is just so enormous in my head. I will sent an email update when I post something new, or you can check back here as I will make the following into links as I do the posts. Quito: or how to get high, Th