Skip to main content

Revisiting Riverfront Park

 


Riverfront Park near Windsor California has become my familiar walk.  I have walked it in many seasons, many weathers. I have posted about it before. So why am I doing yet another post on it now. 

One of my biggest impediment (a word that literally translates to shackling the feet) is my self starter doesn't work well. The roughest step is the first one. There are many reasons for this problem, but the reasons are not important. How to get past the first step is important. That is the first and most important object of this blog is that by sharing what helps that first step for me may help other people in their taking the first step.


Doing something over and over is not my best talent. Been there, done that, and don't even bother with the tee shirt. Coming to this particular walk seems to be more like comfort food. And yet I still have a need to keeping it fresh. In this episode I will discuss a little of what keeps it fresh for me.

Sharing 

Please stay on the trail.
Going off trail damages the ecosystem.

The trail at the top of the loop is closed.









Posting trail conditions.  I am on a local hiking group on fBorg. We gift to each other information on trail closures, and reopening. Trail conditions and special problems. And we encourage each other, especially those timid or with hiking limitations. 


The loop is usually mostly wheelchair friendly.
At this time of the year, the drains across
the roadway may not allow as much access as usual.
 

 
While the trail is mostly unmuddy
there are still parts that will get your shoes damp.

















 

This is your annual poison oak
awareness public reminder
 

The crews do try to keep it off the path
but you need to not brush up
against it.


You all know what a shy, quiet person I am. (where is irony font when I need it?)  I tell people that the trail is closed ahead. And I show stuff to new hikers and kids.


Observing


When one walks the same path over time, certain features become familiar. Watching their maturing and/or decaying, new plants in old places, signs that other people find this place precious.

Counting





Today the park was very loud.  There were hundreds of birds trying to get the attention of potential mates. I do not know the names of the birds, but by counting the different songs, I could feel the diversity. Richard Feynman said about walking with his father:  I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.

I count flower species. And I take photos.  Hey,  photos are a great excuse to take a break from the walking. Sometimes I use it as a reward for the return trip, the slower travel when one stops to photo.

Don't worry about those great panoramas of the super blooms. Yeah, you may get to see one, buy you can see just as much beauty in a flower that will fit on a pencil eraser. 

One of the things I learned from our expedition photography leader Jeffrey Garriock on the Antarctic trip was about how to make photos better by looking for the story.  Where does the eye travel? Who is sharing in the moment? Where does the light warm something in you?





Photograph something from a dozen different views.  

Don't look at the pictures while you are on the trail, wait till you get them on the bigger screen 
and the same thing will give you a dozen different stories





Please share with me, with us, what it is that gets you out on the trail. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Antarctic, Tuesday 14 November 2023

A week and a half after landing, and I am still processing this trip.  I may be processing for the rest of my life. I think any trip to the Antarctic would be life changing. For me as a geographer, traveler, and elder, this trip was on my probably not gonna happen bucket list. Getting there was hard work. Getting over my personal barriers was difficult. There was nothing easy about getting there, a personal triumph. But there was something magical about this trip, this voyage. Even the Expedition leaders noted there was something special about it, a luck.  The weather, the sea conditions, the sightings.  All were way beyond expectations. I will begin as the voyage begins with Drake Passage. This passages has two settings one  involves sea sick meds, learning how to wedge oneself into bed, how not to smash fingers in doors. The other is Drake Lake. There is nothing in between.  We did the crossing in a day and a half rather than the usual two. There were bulletin boards with all sorts o

The Galapagos: The start

  Dear Friends I am just back from a trip that will forever change my life. An apex experience. I am afraid I will be insufferable for a while. When you meet me in real time, I will try to not go on and on, but if you ask, I will be happy tell you about what we did. Note on the photos: I will note all of the photos taken by other people, the rest were from me, taken with my phone (or rather my camera with a phone in it.) I  have reduced the size.  If you want a full copy of one of them, contact me.   Note on dates, locations, and species: I do not claim any accuracy.  Where you find that I have erred, please let me know so I can correct.  Because of the size of the experience, and the huge number of photos I am processing, I am going to break this down into several sections because it is just so enormous in my head. I will sent an email update when I post something new, or you can check back here as I will make the following into links as I do the posts. Quito: or how to get high, Th

CPAP while traveling, and how to feed them.

Th ere have been many questions about battery backup and camping issues in my communities. I have become almost expert out of desperation. Here is what I have learned. Note: I am not a medical technician, nor am I well versed in the magic of electronics. Use all this as suggestions of what kinds of questions you should be asking. No solution is perfect. Examine what it is you need. This will have a lot to do with what you need medically in terms of your machine. Just because they issued you a particular machine, this does not mean that is the best one for you either medically or to fit your life style. My life includes lots of travel, both in airplanes and in an RV. Travel Machines My machine of choice is the ResMed Mini. Insurance would not provide one for me. Even though it was less expensive than the one they wanted to foist on me. A friend who knows me well, and is a high end nurse. Oh yeah both her and her partner are CPAP users. I would love to test drive other machine