Skip to main content

Selim Aga, a book and a story

 


This is a story about how a small moment in a trip can deeply enrich your life. Sometimes it takes a while for the parts of your journey to catch up to you.

In June 2023 I stayed in Castle Creavie in Southwest Scotland on a Bald Hiker Retreat. While there I spent a day in Kirkcudbright. Of course I went to the bookstore Gallovidia Books. A woman came in to pick up a book she had ordered, and I got to hear, then be part of a conversation she had with the proprietor.

The book was Selim Aga, A Slave’s Odyssey by James McCarthy. It seems that she is a direct descendant of Selim Aga. I made notes and ordered it as soon as I got home. I enjoy biographies of little known people. I am also interested in the different stories of the British/African experience compared to the American/African experience. (Note, I wish I could have purchased a copy from the store at the time, but he only had the one copy, and I had a very small suitcase. Please purchase your copy thru an independent bookstore. )

I have just finished reading this fascinating book. It is plainly written. There is very little emotion or justifying or wailing about the past. He sites his references in a proper scholarly manner. But he also adds “what we think happened” with strong reasoning for his pointers.

Selim was taken from a remote part of the Sudan as a child. Transported down the Nile, he was sold several times, and ended up being purchased by Robert Thurburn and eventually taken to Scotland where he was educated. And where he begat a son.

Most of his adult life was spent “in service” which is a term that means little to most Americans.  It was not upper class, nor working class, nor merchant. Economically one had little choice in what they did, but it often involved living and working at the discretion of a man of wealth and standing. He was a valet, translator, assistant, etc. to men of wealth and power in Scotland, England, and in Africa. And to all accounts he was admired, respected, and trusted.

Besides the description of this variation of slavery, the book has some little seen insights into the Victorian age of “discovery” in Africa. We all know the quote “Dr. Livingstone, I presume?but how many of us know the context? There was a lot going on in this part of Africa at the time. And a much of the crap happening in that part of the world is a direct reflection on how the British, French, and Americans behaved there at the time.



The last chapter, the Epilogue, and the Appendix were to me the most informative part of the book.

Chapter Thirteen Two Thousand Amazons is about that was happening in that swath of Africa that goes from Ghana to the Sudan. The slave trade to America and to England had been banned. Slave shipping from the British ports outlawed. But slavery continued in non British Africa. Politics was fractured and contentious.

Everything was made so much more complicated by the Repatriation Movement especially from America. This is when Nigeria was created and this repatriation was not always voluntary. So you have a group of people, displaced by a war that was about other people fighting. These people were shipped off to a place where they had a distant DNA relationship to some of the land. But nobody asked the people that were living there at the time. The arrogance of “I’m more modern than them, so I get to be in charge.” Does this sound familiar?

Selim Aga was killed during the Grebo Wars. He was probably killed, or executed depending on who is telling the story.

The Epilogue refers amongst other things to the author’s experience with the Aga descendants in this area where I visited, including the Crevie family. Where I stayed in the area was at Castle Crevie Farms. This is not coincidental.

The Appendix has copies of two of the memoirs from Selim Aga. These can be found online. Besides being relevant to me, my travels, and other odd interests, they are lovely examples of Victorian writing. And well worth the read on their own.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Antarctic, Tuesday 14 November 2023

A week and a half after landing, and I am still processing this trip.  I may be processing for the rest of my life. I think any trip to the Antarctic would be life changing. For me as a geographer, traveler, and elder, this trip was on my probably not gonna happen bucket list. Getting there was hard work. Getting over my personal barriers was difficult. There was nothing easy about getting there, a personal triumph. But there was something magical about this trip, this voyage. Even the Expedition leaders noted there was something special about it, a luck.  The weather, the sea conditions, the sightings.  All were way beyond expectations. I will begin as the voyage begins with Drake Passage. This passages has two settings one  involves sea sick meds, learning how to wedge oneself into bed, how not to smash fingers in doors. The other is Drake Lake. There is nothing in between.  We did the crossing in a day and a half rather than the usual two. There were bulletin boards with all sorts o

Ecotravel and Greenwashing and a Ramble on Ethics

As someone who strives to reach the unobtainable goal of living ethically (or if you prefer the word: moral, holy, pure.) I am always questioning the decisions I make. I rarely get it right, but I make the effort. In these blogs I try to share not just the travel experience, but how these travels have changed me. Travel is a big issue in my personal path, and for the planet as well. Travel has its cost. I am not speaking of the monetary cost, but the ethical cost of going to another place and the affect on that place. I was accused by one troll of “Killing the penguins.”  The question becomes how do I tip the scales of Osiris in my direction. "Ethics is the branch of philosophy that deals with moral questions and values."  Encyclopedea Britanica This essay is on my thoughts on that particular dilemma. I can’t tell you what to think, but perhaps in reading how I came to my decisions you can add to my thinking, and perhaps think about your footprint. The photos are from my va

The Galapagos: The start

  Dear Friends I am just back from a trip that will forever change my life. An apex experience. I am afraid I will be insufferable for a while. When you meet me in real time, I will try to not go on and on, but if you ask, I will be happy tell you about what we did. Note on the photos: I will note all of the photos taken by other people, the rest were from me, taken with my phone (or rather my camera with a phone in it.) I  have reduced the size.  If you want a full copy of one of them, contact me.   Note on dates, locations, and species: I do not claim any accuracy.  Where you find that I have erred, please let me know so I can correct.  Because of the size of the experience, and the huge number of photos I am processing, I am going to break this down into several sections because it is just so enormous in my head. I will sent an email update when I post something new, or you can check back here as I will make the following into links as I do the posts. Quito: or how to get high, Th